- 2 very thick good quality fillet steaks, around 6cm thick
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- salt and pepper, to season
- watercress, to serve
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 25 g butter
- olive oil
- Black garlic butter
- 150g softened cultured butter
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 8 cloves black garlic
- rind of ½ lemon, grated
- 6 anchovies, finely chopped
- Microwave the potatoes for 10 minutes, then cool to room temperature. Chill in the fridge, then cut into thin chips and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Freeze for 2 hours until solid.
- For the black garlic butter blend all the ingredients together to a coarse mixture. I prefer to keep it soft the first time I use it, and the roll it into the log and freeze it for future use after that.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan to about 180C. Fry the chips for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Season well with salt and pepper, and a few leaves of thyme.
- Season the steak well with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan until very hot and add a little oil. Fry the steak on both sides until browned, then add the separate 25 g of butter and thyme to the pan and baste the steak with the butter for a few minutes until cooked to rare (or otherwise to your