This two-ingredient omelette is a fantastic dish to make when preparing a Chinese meal. It takes minutes and its simplicity balances more strongly flavoured dishes.
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp
- fish sauce, or ¼ tsp stock powder or MSG
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch garlic chives, sliced into 1cm lengths
- salt, to season
- Beat the eggs together with the fish sauce (or stock powder) and sesame oil.
- Heat a wok over medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Add the garlic chives and toss for just a few seconds to release their aroma.
- Season with a little salt, then add the eggs and stir occasionally over the heat until mixed.
- Stop stirring to allow the eggs to brown slightly.
- Remove from the wok and serve.
- This style of omelette can be made with prawns or spinach as well.
- Sometimes a dish like this is topped with a savoury and sour brown sauce such as for egg foo yong.
- You can even leave out the garlic chives altogether and use spring onion instead.